Friday 19 June 2020

This is (nearly) the end, my friend.

Welcome to the last weekend of the school year!  Next week, we will be finishing things up.  Remember I have that brief window of opportunity on Tuesday morning to change your marks or comments one last time before I am not allowed in to the report card files!  So, if you have work to finish, get it done this weekend, and send it in and I will do my best to fix things so they reflect what you have done in this really challenging time.

Check the blog one last time to make sure you've ticked all the boxes.

I will post next week, since some of you said you would miss the blog (that made me feel good, because I do like writing the blog).  And I will blog intermittently over the summer if I see some theatre (I hope) or some art installation that I think you'd like, or if something occurs to me.

Here are a few things to check out!
Drama-wise:
On Stratfest@home (the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario) "Hamlet" is on until July 2.
The National Theatre of Great Britain (nationaltheatre.org.uk) is showing "A Midsummer Night's Dream" from June 25 to July 2 and then "Amadeus" (about Mozart and his rival, Salieri) from July 16 to 23.
You can check out Shakespearesglobe.com which is showing a special Macbeth for young people and also has lots of online content including a tour of the replica of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.

Art-wise:
The New York Times had a great craft idea yesterday -- "Irene Neuwirth Makes a Flower Necklace out of Paper".  Here's the link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/style/paper-flower-necklace-DIY.html
The National Gallery of Canada, the McMichael Collection, the Uffizi Gallery and the Prado Museum have online content -- you probably aren't going to visit Florence or Madrid or Ottawa (or Kleinberg, Ontario) this summer, so it is nice to visit a great gallery and see some amazing works of art from your own house!  (Just google the name.)
The Tate Modern has art projects and ideas and quizzes and things that are lots of fun!

Books:
Audition by Michael Shurtleff is a fun book full of tips and tricks for actors.
Payment in Blood by Elizabeth George is a mystery novel about a playwright, a crime and the detectives who try to solve it.  (I haven't read it, but I have it on hold at the library!)
Lust for Life by Irving Stone is a novel about Vincent Van Gogh.
How to be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith has lots of good little exercises and projects to make you see the world in a different way!

Old Movies:
"All About Eve" is one of the best movies about theatre ever!
"Tootsie" is also a great movie about actors and theatre.
"Maudie", "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and "Lust for Life" are movies about artists that you might like.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment