Tuesday 9 June 2020

Space is the breath of art. (Frank Lloyd Wright)

Frank Lloyd Wright is one of the most famous architects ever.  He designed a house over a waterfall (the house was called "Fallingwater") and he started a movement called "organic architecture" in which buildings are designed in harmony with their surroundings.

Question of the Day:  Would you rather be in a city or in the countryside?  When I was young, I wanted to live in the middle of a big, bustling city like New York City, but now that I am old, I really love the peace and quiet of the small town I live in and I think I would prefer the countryside.  Daisy likes to walk on grass now that she's old and the pavement and rocky paths bother her feet, so nothing too rugged.

Warm-up:
Drama 9/10:  Read your Shakespeare scene out loud as if you were your role play character.
Art 8:  Experiment with space.  Try to fill the space in the room with yourself.  Then try to let the space take over.
https://images.app.goo.gl/8jXAy4SL7dbdJdWa7
The above picture shows the difference between positive space (the object) and negative space (the empty spaces around the object).
Theatre Production:   
Think, when we talk of horses, that you see them,
Printing their proud hoofs i' th' receiving earth;
For 'tis your thoughts that now must deck our kings.
What does this mean?  Why is it important for someone involved in theatre production to understand this passage?

Lesson:
Art 8:  Find a picture that deals with the concept of form and space (or take a picture of it).  Be ready to share it at the Zoom meeting on Thursday.


Remember to send me your pressed plant mounted on the background wash you prepared.
Drama 9/10:  Practice your Shakespeare scene (both parts).  Do it out loud.  Move around as if you were the character.
Theatre Production:  Keep working on your theatre history project.

Zoom meetings:
Wednesday, 1:30 p.m. -- A Block (I am at school helping with graduation, so if I am a bit late, be patient).  Remember to be your character and not yourself for the whole meeting.
Thursday, 12:30 p.m. -- C Block -- be ready to show your form and space picture (I am at graduation again, so wait if I'm not there right at the dot).
Friday, 12:30 p.m. -- B Block (Play your role play character!)


No comments:

Post a Comment