Monday 15 June 2020

Words, words, words (Hamlet says this when mocking Polonius)

Question of the Day:  Are you beginning to relax about COVID19?  Were you worried at first?  Have you been to any gatherings or done something you haven't done for a long time?  Are you wondering what school will be like in September?  I am kind of more relaxed about COVID19.  I know that if we stay two metres apart and wear masks, we are much less likely to infect each other and I also know that most cases are not too serious.  I wasn't worried at first, and then I got quite worried when everything started being shut down and people were talking about the Spanish flu (which killed my mother's cousin, Little Isabel).  I went to help with our graduation ceremony and was a bit worried because people weren't all wearing masks and got quite close, but it was hard in such a happy atmosphere to be too strict.  I hope in September, we will be back to complete Normal, but I will be prepared if we have to start slowly and GET back to normal!

Warm-up:  Art 8:  Here is another example of an art installation.  This one was originally by Felix Gonzalez-Torres, but people have started it again in his honour:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/arts/design/fortune-cookies-sculptures.html?searchResultPosition=1

Drama 9/10:  Watch these two versions of the scene between Hamlet and Polonius!
This one has a terrific David Tennant (Dr. Who and lots of other things) and Oliver Ford Davies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmdzPZNA28
This one is older and stars the magnificent Richard Burton (as Hamlet) and Hume Cronyn (as Polonius):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l93LR6Sw75Q
Which one do you like the best?

Theatre Production 11:  Look at this design for "Hamlet" by Edward Gordon Craig (one of the most famous set designers of the last century).  https://images.app.goo.gl/mbrH39tCo7kWruJF7
Write me a response.  What do you think of it?  Would it work as a set?  How would the actors use it?

Lesson:
Art 8:  Work on your art installation.
Drama 9/10:  Learn your Shakespeare scene.  If you haven't already, let me know which one you're doing.  Look at the email I sent today to see who I assigned as your partner.
Theatre Production:  Work on your theatre history project.  Make sure you send me a couple of options for a time when you can present it.

No comments:

Post a Comment