Sunday 21 June 2020

Welcome to Summer!

Question of the Day:  This is the longest day of the year!  The sun rose the earliest and will set the latest of all the year.  Which time of day is your favourite?  Mine (one of my many favourite times) is after I walk Daisy in the evening. We come home and I get her to bed (she has a low bed in my room and I get her up on it, and then she usually has to jump off and walk around in circle several times before she settles down) and then I lie down and get to read until I get sleepy.  I am reading American Wife right now, which is a fictional biography of a woman based on Laura Bush, George W. Bush's wife.  It is not the type of book I usually want to read, but I heard a review that said it was good so I got it at the curbside pick-up at the library (very exciting for a book lover that the library is back!) and I am really enjoying it.  I just finished a book about bird behaviour which was very interesting -- The Thing With Feathers (Emily Dickinson, the poet, called hope "the thing with feathers").

Report cards are being checked over by administration and on Tuesday morning, I will be able to "fix" them, if I've made mistakes, so make sure you get all your work in to me by tomorrow.  I am available by email officially until June 25.

Art Installation:
I heard Carey Newman talking about this art installation which is presently on display at the Canadian Museum of Human Rights in Winnipeg.  It presents all sorts of items related to the aboriginal residential schools, which is such an important and troubling part of Canadian history.    There is a great film about it (I haven't seen it, but Mr. Newman made it sound great and it is on my "to do" list now).  It's called "Picking up the Pieces:  The Making of the Witness Blanket".  Here is the link:  https://humanrights.ca/story/picking-up-the-pieces-the-making-of-the-witness-blanket .

Have you made a list of things you want to do over the summer?  (I'm a big list maker as you know.)  I have a number of things on my list (one is to see the film I mentioned above).  I want to paint my office and finish my coronavirus play.  I usually resolve to pack up old clothes and things we don't use anymore and give them away -- that benefits me and whoever might want the stuff.

One thing you might put on your list (since many of you don't seem to read at all) is to find a book you want to read!  You can access all sorts of lists depending on what you like -- mysteries, self-help, books about birds or politics or cars or books that tell you how to make something or books about historical events or biographies.   There's a book for everyone.  I don't know how I would have survived all these years without books!

No comments:

Post a Comment