Monday 22 June 2020

Tick, tock, tick, tock

Question of the Day:  When was the last time you had a fight or a disagreement with a friend?  How did you resolve it (if  you did) or what could you do to resolve it?  I had a big disagreement with my friend, because I didn't think she understood how important theatre was to me (that was demonstrated to me, and I was very upset).  I told her how upset I was and then we let it sit for a long time and then she reached out to me and we talked about it at length and we managed to save the friendship.  I do think it's important to say that you are hurt or upset and then hear the person out.  Usually you can find some way forward.

Activity:  I have to make a speech on Thursday for our staff social.  I usually have to think about things like this for a while before I start writing, but now, I have a plan and I am going to use "All the world's a stage" as a kick off.  What if you had to make an inspiring speech at the end of a difficult time?  What do you think you would talk about?  If you keep a journal, this might be something you could write about.  I have kept a journal most of my life.  I don't know where they all are.  It is the writing part that is important -- if I feel angry or worried, if I write about it, I can often find a solution to the problem, or discover that it isn't as terrible as I thought.

Tomorrow morning is the last time I can change your marks, so if you have been stalling on sending stuff in, the time has come.  Tick, tock, tick, tock.  The seconds are ticking away!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't (to my knowledge) given any sort of inspirational speeches before, but I do know what sort of presentations I like watching.

    Oddly (or perhaps not), I find presentations most interesting when there's a strange or brightly-coloured prop on the presenter. (There was a guy with a really magical name who did a speech with a red rose. There was another guy who wore a bowler's hat and gesticulated as if his story was coming to life around him. They both were entrancing with their speeches.) If I were to make an inspiring speech, I'd probably look at all the possible objects that represented the difficult time, and pick something completely opposite to them. For example, in contrast to the garish headgear of the Spanish Flu, I'll bring a bright yellow rubber duck. Just like how hopelessness contrasts with inspiration, this yellow duck shall be the seed from which hope springs eternal.

    P.S. When you mentioned "inspiring speech at the end of a difficult time", this came to mind.
    P.P.S. This really was supposed to be a short comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I plan to have other people act out the different stages, like the line "at first, the infant mewling and puking in the nurse's arms", I'm going to have someone with a soother and a stuffed animal yelling "WAAAA!" I've started with the Shakespearean stages, but then I wrote my own stuff for the end.

    Does the Spanish flu have a garish headdress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! Images aren't showing up on the blog, but this link should take you to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great costume! I love the beak!

    ReplyDelete